Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Feeding

While Murphy is waiting for her vaccine immunity to be complete, we are working at home on obedience, potty training and scent training. I've read a pile of books on general obedience, puppy rearing, and service/alert dog training. Actively, I am using the Dog's Way Podcast and Diabetic Alert Dog University for training at home.  Both seems to fit my own ideas and natural style. I'm sure I'll gather from other sources as well.

In her videos on the Diabetic Alert Dog University, Mary talks about dividing the dog's food for training purposes:
  • One fourth for morning working breakfast (has to get it out of a toy)
  • One fourth for scent training from nesting bowls containing low scent
  • One fourth for general training from my or William's hand
  • One fourth for evening working breakfast (has to get it out of toy)
Typical Lab, she inhales her food if given in a bowl. My husband calls it "hoovering" as in vacuums.



This bowl slows down her eating and makes her think. I ordered some of the suggested eating toys online, but improvised a few homemade ones while we wait for delivery.


This is just a tube from inside an empty aluminum foil package (they are stronger) sealed on both ends with paper and duct tape, with a hole cut on one end. I put kibble and one piece of smelly lunch meat inside. Keeps her very busy!

No comments:

Post a Comment