Saturday, January 14, 2017

Socialization

Murphy was so wildly popular at the YMCA yesterday, there ought to be a business where puppies are taken out into public to socialize people. People I never would have spoken to or who wouldn't have spoken to me sat with me in the lobby, asked about Murphy's intended service dog purpose, were educated about Type 1 Diabetes or told me their own stories, talked about dogs they have/had, and so on. The staff there are very welcoming and it is a good place to train.

She was cuddled and petted by dozens of people, including the entire 10 year old girls swim team, leaving her rather soggy. Other highlights of the week were meeting her doggy cousin, from whom she commandeered this ball left behind, going to two classes with William, and Tae Kwon Do.

Noisy environments like the pool at the YMCA and a do-jang are both challenging for her. She shook when we first got to Tae Kwon Do just because of a new place with new people. When they started kiap shouting and kicking each other, she became very concerned.

Soon, however, she accepted the input and watched her boy.


Murphy learning Spanish:


This stage of her life is critical for experiencing new situations and socialization. It is hard, hard work and one comes to realize why diabetic alert dogs cost $20,000.

One staff member asked what treats I was giving Murphy and I told her about our "work to eat program" whereby Murphy gets no food free in her bowl. All food must be earned. "I should have done that with my son," she replied.


No comments:

Post a Comment