Saturday, December 31, 2016

Dex is Offline

As I write this, the distinctive alarm rings that signifies the Dexcom has lost William's signal. William is awake and playing on his computer upstairs so I'm not too "alarmed". The Dexcom CGM (continuous glucose monitor) is a life changer technology, but it and we fail sometimes. Two nights ago, it did tell me he was dropping. Earlier, he'd laid on the sensor and that causes a "compression low" or false reading. I told myself I'd check in a minute. By the time I awoke next and actually did check, he was 45 mg/dL, a number we never want to see.

So - we work towards better routines and multiple layers. Murphy, it will be awhile before she factors in. Right now, we are figuring out how to get her to not nip, chase the cats, and pull all the moss from my potted plants. (Answer: remove moss.) Her biggest guilty pleasure is trying to play or pounce on our 13.5 lb blind, deaf and stupid Japanese Chin dog. Training a puppy is not for the timid; training a DAD is a step above crazy.

I am building a list of places that will allow her access while in training. The coffee shop in town tentatively said yes. A vest is on the way to make her purpose clear. This week, we went with family to a restaurant and she made not a peep in a borrowed cat crate.


My favorite time with her is at 10 p.m.  She is warm and stretches, making a little yawn sound. Her little round puppy belly is so soft. It won't last long. She is changing before our eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment