Monday, December 26, 2016

Socialite


Tomorrow marks two weeks since Murphy joined us. She has had a multitude of experiences and met many people and animals. William introduced her to several people at the store and told them how she was going to be a service dog. When I told him he didn't need to, that non-service dogs also get socialized, he said, "Well, I might as well get used to it and also educated other people about it."
Soon, she will be wearing a service dog vest.

Murphy has accomplished much in two weeks. She can now sit on command, down, come, heel (well, okay that's a stretch), has gotten used to her collar and leash, worn a coat on cold days. She's met horses, dogs, cats, many people, and seen deer. She has been to two of William's classes, stores, and endured Christmas parties. She has had raspberries blown on her incredibly soft belly. She will "get it" (fetch) sometimes and "give it" back, but she is easily distracted.

I know we are in a race. I'm told by "dog experts" that a bazillion things need to be accomplished by the time she is twelve weeks old. Already, she is beyond what I thought a young pup can do, so whatever, you dog geniuses. I've heard many a "discouraging word" about going it alone to train a DAD. Maybe they are right, maybe I'm crazy. Maybe this dog will be awesome.

2 comments:

  1. Hope I'm not jumping the gun with this question, but how is she supposed to be taught to alert when there is a diabetic issue?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kim, any questions welcome. I don't have all answers but I have some. We are using samples right now, collected saliva on cotton dental rolls taken when William is low. I put them in empty test strip vials and freeze them with date and approximate BG or symptoms (e.g. eyesight blurry). Right now, just exposing her. I take them out and let her smell, then she gets a treat.

    ReplyDelete